Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Strong as Death IX


 
 
 
7-1-47 Samson: Jezebel met with Faisal F.  He is trying to secure an arms purchase of three thousand mounted machine guns from Czech arms dealers… 

7-2-47

Dear Father,

            I find myself among Arabs again and it lulls me to distraction.  They are so familiar: the voices, the smells, the texture of their daily lives. How they walk.   It’s odd.  When I was young, I felt not Jewish at all.  I felt like an Arab.  It was the language of my nanny, my nurses, my friends at school.  Here in Damascus, I feel very much the Arab again.  When I am speaking or thinking in Arabic, I often forget that I can say this or that in Hebrew with equal capacity...   

7-6-47 Samson: Boaz reports that Abimelech is meeting with the French… I can confirm this; Maimonides treated the French attaché for gout... 

7-15-47

Dear Father,

            I think I have fallen in love.  I know you do not believe the concept of romantic love is suitable for a successful marriage (as your three marriages were arranged) but each generation must do as it sees fit.  We Jews must now marry for love and love only. She is a Syrian Jew named Miriam (she has not told me this, but I suspect it from her way of speaking, and her manner with things, very much in the Jewess in an Arab land) and she has begun to capture my heart and it makes me feel the appeal of love, its powerful, unrelenting force.  As the Song of Songs says, Love is stronger than Death! 

And what she sacrifices for the birth of the Jewish nation!  I have never seen such a thing, Father.  She runs her body through a sewer for the cause of Jewish political autonomy, but keeps her spirit aloof and proud.  What she provides us is priceless. No one could even suspect such a creature of guile.  A man would look at her and think: she exists simply for my pleasure, she is all form, a placeholder for my pleasure, but how wrong he would be!  She is crafty and wise, cunning and audacious.  I had the temerity to take her to a café the other day. When I asked her, she hesitated, and then consented, and I took this to mean some form of admiration.  I should not have done this, but I needed to see her outside of these dim rooms.  But it was a terrible risk.  As is this letter… 

7-23-47 Samson: The Syrian Dealer, Aladdin, met with the Scotsman, Macbeth.  We think ammunition in great quantities was purchased…  

 7-24-4 Samson:, confirmation from Abner, who is in a position to know such a detail… 

7-31-47

Dear Father,

            I actually kissed her.  She let me, and when our lips parted, she said, in fine Hebrew (you see up to that point we had only spoken in Arabic or French), you should not have done that, but without real anger.  And after the kiss, her features, usually cold and ridged, softened.  I felt as if a tourniquet was being wrapped around my heart. I knew from her expression that she felt something for me… perhaps it was only pity, but at this point, I crave any emotion I can elicit from her.  And I need human pity.  Something of the pathos of her situation must have been reflected on my face, for suddenly she grew angry and said “I’d do anything for my people.  Anything.  Wouldn’t you?”  I said yes, or perhaps I just nodded.  I lied to her Father.  For there is a line which I would not cross, even for my benighted people… 

8-5-47 Samson: Jezebel missed her meeting of 8-3-47.  She was scheduled to see Mohammad the Arabian… 

8-7-47

Dear Father,

            Yesterday, something terrible happened.  After I left the American Consulate, I went for a shoeshine.  When I sat at the stool, the man at my feet looked up.  He was an older man, with one eye (the socket was empty).  He looked at me and said: “Palestinian, no? I know the shop in Jaffa that makes these…” and I told him I had bought them there on business.  He asked where I was from and sticking to my cover, I said Beirut.  “Funny,” he answered, “you speak like a Baghdadi.” And then “Something is wrong with these shoes.  They seem too light in the heel.”  I over tipped him.  This was not wise.  It will only bring more attention to myself… 

8-8-47 Samson: No Jezebel. No Maimonides.  No Laban.  All failed to meet me at the appointed times.  I am working to leave Damascus

No comments:

Post a Comment