Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Heroin & The Cloisters

 


When I was in college and 20 years old, I dated a fellow student, a young woman, for a VERY short time.  One day, she took me on a trip to upper Manhattan to see the Cloisters.   We rode the subway north, and once there, the Cloisters and its setting took my breath away. A gem was hidden at the tip of Manhattan.  She took me there for one reason: she had read The Basketball Diaries and wanted to see the place where most of the novel occurs. 

Now, decades later, I have read it.  I can see her attraction to the novel: she was a troubled person, moving sideways without anyone helping her.  It is apparent how this story of marginalization and addiction would appeal to her: something was guiding her life that she could not control, like the author of this book.  The trajectory of doom would have mirrored how she felt at that time.


No comments:

Post a Comment