Sunday, February 27, 2022

Breakfast with Seneca: A Stoic Guide to the Art of Living

 


Breakfast with Seneca: A Stoic Guide to the Art of Living by David R. Fideler is a gentle ride into Stoicism.  This is appropriate, as in many ways, Seneca is the most humane, approachable Stoic.  Fideler provides us an excellent overview of his famous letters – delving into the practice of this “late” Roman Stoic and how his thoughts and life can impact us.

I will admit that among the three “late” Roman Stoics, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, and Epictetus, Seneca is not my favorite.  Epictetus is stern and technical.  Marcus writes beautifully, and the form of his Meditations is perfect for quick dives into Stoic philosophy.  I read Seneca over thirty years ago – and found him too pedestrian.  I would read Epictetus and Marcus any  day. But now, older, perhaps I need the pedestrian.  So Fideler’s book has caused me to pick up my old copy of Seneca’s letters. 


No comments:

Post a Comment