Friday, November 1, 2019

Devotion: A Novel, by Madeline Stevens





Devotion: A Novel, by Madeline Stevens, is certainly a fascinating work, full of tension and strangeness. Stevens is a strong writer, with a wonderful ability to build a sense of menace from all the accumulated details of life, both the banal and extraordinary.  She uses language powerfully.  Her sentences have punch. 

But when I was done, when I pulled back from the novel, I could not resolve broader, almost philosophical issues of the work.  It is about gender, power, class, sexuality and sexual power, the private self and the public self – all this is true.  But I don't know how they fit together. 
As I can't fit the pieces together, I fall back on the narrator as mentally unwell... which seems like a cop out. There is a vexing complexity or confusion at the heart of Devotion.


No comments:

Post a Comment